Jonesborough in Washington County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Sulphur Springs Campground
Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting
Land donated by Payne Squibb
Original shed built about 1845
the Reverend William Milburn, Pastor
Present shed built about 1900
from many of the old hand-hewn beams
Dedicated to the Glory of Almighty God
in memory and honor
many who have been inspired and
challenged on this Holy Ground
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 36° 20.894′ N, 82° 32.506′ W. Marker is in Jonesborough, Tennessee, in Washington County. Marker is on Gray Station Sulphur Springs Road (Tennessee Route 75) north of Bayless Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the east side of the highway, on the Sulphur Springs United Methodist Church grounds, directly in front of the Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting Shed. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1432 Gray Station Sulphur Springs Road, Jonesborough TN 37659, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting Grounds (here, next to this marker); Keebler-Keefauver Home Jonesboro: Oldest Town in Tennessee (approx. 5 miles away); Alfred Eugene Jackson (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fiddlin’ Charlie Bowman (approx. 5.2 miles away); First Abolition Publications (approx. 5.3 miles away); May-Dishner House (approx. 5.3 miles away); Captain Christopher Taylor Home (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesborough.
Regarding Sulphur Springs Campground. National Register of Historic Places #75001796 (1975)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Sulphur Springs Camp Meeting Grounds
Also see . . . Sulphur Springs Methodist Campground (Wikipedia). Sulphur Springs Methodist Campground was founded following the Great Revival of 1800. First meetings here may have occurred as early as 1815. The present shed is supported by hewn and pegged timber truss work. It features a stage, unfinished plank pews, and a packed earth and sawdust floor. (Submitted on May 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.