Sevierville in Sevier County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
New Salem Baptist Church
Leaders in the church movement were Isaac Dockery, Alf McMahan, John Burden, Mrs. Addie McMahan, Mrs. Nancy Coleman and Witt McMahan.
Squire and Mrs. Bob Henderson gave land for the site of this church. The bricks were made by Isaac Dockery and his family. The church was built by the community families.
Rev. Peter Gwin was the first preacher of this church. Rev. Press Free and Capt. Mink Wynn were white ministers who came to preach during the early years of church growth.
The Isaac Dockery Family Reunion
Erected 1980 by Isaac Dockery Family Reunion.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 35° 51.542′ N, 83° 33.234′ W. Marker is in Sevierville, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker can be reached from Eastgate Road west of Henderson Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Eastgate Road, Sevierville TN 37862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named New Salem Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); John Porter McCown (approx. 0.7 miles away); Nancy Academy (approx. ¾ mile away); Sevierville (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dwight and Kate Wade House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Jail Bars (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Sevierville (approx. 0.8 miles away); The McMahan Indian Mound (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sevierville.
Regarding New Salem Baptist Church. National Register of Historic Places #03000696 (2003).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Isaac Dockery
Also see . . . New Salem Baptist Church. New Salem Baptist Church built in 1886 is Sevierville's oldest surviving building and the county's oldest brick church and only historic African-American church. An important part of the community's 19th century heritage. This historical church after years of slow deterioration after being closed and boarded up is in need of major renovations. Descendants of church builder (Submitted on May 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.