Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glendale in Douglas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

City of Glendale

 
 
City of Glendale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Klinger, September 12, 2018
1. City of Glendale Marker
Inscription.  After construction of a railroad line South from Roseburg in 1881-1883, Solomon Abraham, the local right of way agent, platted the community and named it Julia after his wife. After a dispute with Abraham, A.F. Morris, the Chief Engineer for the railroad, changed the name to Glendale. A Julia post office was established in February of 1883, and its name was changed to Glendale in August of the same year. L.D. Montgomery was the first Postmaster. Fire destroyed much of Glendale’s business district in 1928. Glendale was quickly rebuilt.

In the 1880’s, Russian-Jewish immigrants came here trying to escape the anti-Semitic rule of Alexander III. New Odessa, the first Jewish Communitarian Community in America settled near Glendale. By 1888 the New Odessa Community disbanded due to political and religious divisions. The City of Glendale was incorporated in 1901.
 
Erected 2018 by City of Glendale, Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation Markers marker series.
 
Location.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
42° 44.249′ N, 123° 25.598′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Oregon, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 3rd Street and Pacific Avenue. Marker is located in the main city park of Glendale, Oregon. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glendale OR 97442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wolf Creek Tavern (approx. 3.3 miles away); Early Traveler Accommodations (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Applegate Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away); Febble, Hungry, and Haggard (approx. 3.3 miles away); Golden (approx. 6.2 miles away); GOLD! (approx. 6.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Applegate Trail (approx. 7.4 miles away); Grave Creek Ranch (approx. 7.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker reflects on the early organizational history of small Oregon communities, many of which were stimulated by the expansion of the railroad industry.

The Jewish agricultural, communitarian community of New Odessa, failed to endure because of the nature of American acceptance and freedom. The antisemitism the Jewish settles experienced in Russia was alien to the American story. The Jewish settlers soon realized, in America, they were judged on who they were, what they could contribute and not what was their religion.
 
Also see . . .  Glendale, Oregeon - the Jewish Story. Glendale was founded by a Jewish American, Solomon Abraham. Abraham worked for the railroad. (Submitted on May 25, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida.) 
 
Additional keywords. Jewish Agricultural Settlements, Oregon history, Logging industry, Jewish pioneer settlers, Communal settlements
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for City of Glendale.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on May 20, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement