Berea in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ogilvy Chapel of St. Thomas Episcopal Church
This “little gem of a stone church,” built and dedicated in 1893, is constructed of locally quarried, rusticated Berea sandstone blocks. A Celtic cross at the top of the west wall represented the areas of Great Britain from which many original parish members immigrated to this area of Ohio. The chapel is named in honor of John Ogilvy. He was not a member of St. Thomas Church, but he did leave a bequest which the parish used to erect the chapel. It was constructed at a cost of $4,174.70.
Memorial windows on the west wall of Ogilvy Chapel honor Joseph Nichols, Marvin E. Stone, William A James, and the Rev. Willis B. French. Nichols served as mayor of Berea in 1878 and 1879. Stone, a warden of St. Phillip’s (Albion/Strongsville), became a highly regarded member of St. Thomas after it absorbed the languishing parishes of St. Phillip’s and St. Luke’s in 1873. As part of the merger, St. Phillip’s gave its church building to St. Thomas. James was a strong supporter of St. Thomas and served in the vestry. Rev. French was St. Thomas’s rector from 1879 to 1887.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 41° 22.353′ N, 81° 51.083′ W. Marker is in Berea, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bagley Road and Seminary Street, on the right when traveling east on East Bagley Road. It is across Bagley Road from the Baldwin-Wallace University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berea OH 44017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baldwin University (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lyceum Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Berea Triangle (approx. 0.4 miles away); The “Big Quarry” (approx. half a mile away); Berea Sandstone Quarries (approx. half a mile away); Berea District Seven School (approx. half a mile away); Berea Union Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berea.
Also see . . . Historical marker dedicated at St. Thomas Episcopal Church. 2015 (Submitted on May 22, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 185 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 22, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.