Congregation Sons of Israel
First Jewish House of Worship in South Dakota
— 1916 —
In 1903, the Mt. Zion Cemetery Society was formed by the Reformed Jews. On October 5, 1910, it was announced in a Sioux Falls newspaper that another group, the Orthodox Jews had engaged in meetings that resulted in the first steps taken toward the acquisition of a synagogue. Finally, in October of 1916, a merger of the two groups was achieved and the Congregation Sons of Israel was created and chartered. A church building, formerly the United Evangelical Church, located at 320 North Minnesota Ave. was purchased. It became the first Synagogue in the State of South Dakota.
But the merger lasted only a couple of years as differences in ritual and practice caused a separation. The Orthodox Jews retained the name Sons of Israel and continued to worship in the temple at 320 North Minnesota Avenue, while the Reformed Jews had to plan for their future. On
They chose the name Mt. Zion Congregation and in 1924, they purchased the Grace Chapel Lutheran church at 14th and Duluth Avenue in Sioux Falls. For two years, both religions shared the same house of God. They separated in 1926 after the Lutherans built a new church. Thereafter, the Mt. Zion people rededicated the old Lutheran church a Jewish house of worship.
The Sons of Israel sold their synagogue on North Minnesota Avenue, and for several years thereafter they had no house of worship. Then in 1934, the sons of Israel relocated in a new temple at 610 South Dakota Avenue in Sioux Falls.
Congregation Sons of Israel was created in accordance with the sacred American principles of freedom of religion and assembly.
Erected 2019 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation and the Minnehaha County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation Markers ✡️ series list.
Location. 43° 33.022′ N, 96° 43.857′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hanging of an Innocent Man (approx. 0.2 miles away); Quartzite Paving Stones (approx. 0.2 miles away); Divorce Capital (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dakota Iron Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); President Woodrow Wilson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orpheum Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Coliseum (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Andrew Kuehn Company (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
More about this marker. Planned dedication was for 2016. It was deferred until 2019 due to the development of Van Eps Park.
Regarding Congregation Sons of Israel. Text was written by the Minnehaha County Historical Society with special note of the earliest presence of Jews in Sioux Falls. Consistent with first synagogue marker projects of the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, the text reflects on American freedom of religion and assembly
Additional keywords. First Synagogue, ecumenicism, Jewish mid-western
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 95 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.