Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Church of Saint Patrick
From 1795 to 1799 Father (Prince) Demetrius A. Galitzen, the second priest ordained in the United States, celebrated Mass in Cumberland prior to settling in Cambria County, Pennsylvania at Loretto.
In 1836 Father Henry Myers built a brick Church of Saint Mary on this site.
By 1848 that church, although enlarged, proved to be too small for the congregation. The German members of the congregation petitioned the Archdiocese for a church of their own dedicated to Ss. Peter and Paul.
In 1849 Father Leonard Obermeyer pulled down the brick church of Saint Mary and began the construction of the present church on the foundation of the brick church.
The corner stone was laid in 1850, and the church was dedicated by Archbishop Francis Patrick Kenrick on November 23, 1851. The name of the parish and the church building were then changed to the Church of Saint Patrick,
On June 10, 1883 the Church of Saint Patrick was solemnly consecrated by Archbishop James Gibbons, soon to become James Cardinal Gibbons.
This plaque was placed here on Sunday, November 25, 2001 to commemorate the Sesquicentennial of the dedication of this house of God dedicated to the memory of Saint Patrick on November 23, 1851, and in memory of the 211th year of the parish's ministry in the Cumberland community.
Bishop W. Francis Malooly, Episcopal Vicar for Western Maryland
Monsignor THomas R. Bevan, Pastor
Location. 39° 39.316′ N, 78° 45.85′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on North Centre Street north of Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Centre Street, Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of St. Patrick, Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); Wright Butler House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cumberland City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bell Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canada Hose Company No. 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Federal Court and Postoffice (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town Clock Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Metropolitan A.M.E. Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Church of Saint Patrick.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.