Marshall Field and Company Building
Daniel H. Burnham and Charles Atwood, 1892;
D.H.Burnham and Co., 1902, 1906, 1907;
Graham, Burnham & Co., 1914 architects
The Marshall Field and Company Building is the “grande dame” of Chicago department store buildings, a Chicago School building finely designed and detailed in the Classical Revival style. It is significantly historical as the longtime headquarters of Marshall Field and Company, one of the nation’s most historically important retail enterprises, and one of the finest historic department stores in the nation. Built in stages over a generation, the building is the work of Chicago’s leading architects, Daniel H. Burnham. The building is noteworthy for its lavish interiors, including two atria decorated with stained glass and Tiffany mosaics, and the much-beloved walnut room. Designated on November 1, 2005 Richard M. Daley, Mayor Commission on Chicago Landmarks
Erected 2005 by Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eternal Flame Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Chicago Public Library Cultural Center (about 800 feet away); Harris and Selwyn Theaters (about 800 feet away); Jean Baptiste Beaubien (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augustus Garrett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Third Church Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sisters of Mercy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Viet Nam Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.