The Railroad and the Tehachapi Loop
Establishment of Tehachapi – 1876
Trains still pass through a series of tunnels on the way through the Tehachapi Loop and circle the knoll in the center, on one of the busiest freight routes in the country.
In 1876, when railroad tracks reached the site of the present Tehachapi Depot, a telegraph office was the first structure on the empty plain, four miles east of Tehichipa and one mile east of Greenwich. The new railroad town was given the name Tehachapi Summit. By July 1877 four trains came through Tehachapi daily, two for passengers.
In 1876, the population and early businesses developed along both sides of the tracks. People literally started to move buildings and houses from old Tehichipa and Greenwich to the new railroad town of Tehachapi Summit. The Erra
By 1885 Southern Pacific had mapped the town; east/west streets had alpha names with the north/south having places names. By this time there were hotels, saloons, a post office and stores.
Erected by Main Street Tehachapi, Tehachapi Heritage League and The City of Tehachapi.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 7.891′ N, 118° 26.863′ W. Marker is in Tehachapi, California, in Kern County. Marker is on S Green St, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 S Green Street, Tehachapi CA 93561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Bank of Tehachapi (here, next to this marker); The Women's Prison in Tehachapi - 1932 (a few steps from this marker); Beekay Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Cement Production in Tehachapi (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Settlements in The Tehachapi Area (within shouting distance of this marker); Tehachapi’s Founding Fathers And Incorporation in 1909 (within shouting distance of
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 29, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.