Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hiram in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Hiram Rosenwald School

 
 
The Hiram Rosenwald School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 30, 2006
1. The Hiram Rosenwald School Marker
Inscription.  
In 1912 Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck and Company, established the Rosenwald Fund to assist in community school construction of public schools for African-American students in the South. The Julius Rosenwald Fund assisted local communities who raised additional funds. By the 1930's one in every five rural southern schools for blacks had been constructed with aid from the Rosenwald Fund, a total of nearly five thousand schools throughout the South. The Hiram Rosenwald school opened in 1930 as the Hiram Colored School. It was the only Rosenwald school in Paulding County and, at that time, the only African-American school with a library in the county. The school operated from 1930 until 1955.
 
Erected 2005 by Georgia Historical Society, U.N.I.T.E., and the Hiram Rosenwald School Preservation. (Marker Number 110-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Rosenwald Schools series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location.
The Hiram Rosenwald School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 6, 2022
2. The Hiram Rosenwald School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
33° 52.812′ N, 84° 45.624′ W. Marker is in Hiram, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Hiram Douglasville Highway (Georgia Route 92) 0 miles south of Alexander Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hiram GA 30141, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eight Point Star (approx. 0.4 miles away); Henry Lester House (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site: Colley House Hood’s H’dq’rs (approx. 2.1 miles away); Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site: Robertson House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs (approx. 3.6 miles away); Confederate Line (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hiram.
 
Also see . . .  Rosenwald Schools. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry:
The Hiram Colored School was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Julius Rosenwald image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
3. Julius Rosenwald
from Bertie Charles Forbes, Men Who are Making America, 1917.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,382 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 10, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on May 10, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   3. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=13466

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 19, 2022