Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Findlay Market / General James Findlay
Findlay Market. Ohio’s oldest surviving municipal market house, Findlay Market was designed under the direction of City Civil Engineer Alfred West Gilbert (1816-1900). It was listed,on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The structure was among the first market houses in the United States to use iron frame construction technology. Originally an open pavilion, much of the market was erected in 1852, but disputes with contractors delayed its opening until 1855. The center masonry tower was built in 1902. Soon after public health concerns prompted enclosure of the market stalls and the addition of plumbing and refrigeration. Until then vendors found cool storage in deep cellars beneath nearby breweries. The tower bell was brought from Cincinnati’s Pearl Street Market in 1934. Findlay Market was renovated in 1973-74 and again in 2002-03.
General James Findlay. James Findlay, early settler, civic leader, entrepreneur, and namesake of Findlay, Ohio, opened a log store near the Ohio River in 1793 and prospered despite Native American attacks. He helped establish a public library in 1802, was
Erected 2002 by the Corporation for Findlay Market and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 33-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 6.919′ N, 84° 31.101′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Race Street and West Elder Street, on the right when traveling south on Race Street. It is at the east end of Findlay Market. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1801 Race St, Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anti-German Hysteria (within shouting distance of this marker); Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties The Kroger Co. / Over-The-Rhine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cincinnati Breweries / Remaining Brewery Structures (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Woodward High School / School for Creative and Performing Arts (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Betts House, 1804 (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Gamble House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Also see . . . A Brief History. “Findlay Market continued to thrive into the 20th century because it was supported by its densely populated Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, which reached a high population of 44,475 in the 1900 census.” (Submitted on June 5, 2019.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for Findlay Market / General James Findlay.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.