Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
White Bear Lake in Ramsey County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Original Townsite Plat of White Bear Lake

 
 
The Original Townsite Plat of White Bear Lake marker image. Click for full size.
By McGhiever, August 10, 2015
1. The Original Townsite Plat of White Bear Lake marker
Inscription.  The summer of 1971 marked the centennial anniversary of the original townsite plat of White Bear Lake. During the 1860's officials of the Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad purchased the land which was to become the nucleus of the village of White Bear Lake. Gates A. Johnson, a company surveyor platted a townsite at this location in July of 1871 under the direction of Frank Clark, president of the line, and Jacob Stewart, its agent.

Thereafter this plat governed the form and growth of what is now the central portion of the city. The basic plan, which divided most residential blocks into plots measuring 75 by 150 feet, provided spacious lots for summer cottages and permanent abodes. The owners of blocks 46 and 62 reserved them for resort hotels.

This plat designated street and avenue names and allowed for roadways 60 feet wide. Two exceptions were Stewart Avenue, which measured 90 feet wide, and Clark Avenue, which was 150 feet wide. Track routes for the Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad and the Stillwater and St. Paul Railroad were laid out as well.

With commendable vision, the city planners preserved the lands along

White Bear Lake Depot, with marker just visible on far right image. Click for full size.
By McGhiever, August 10, 2015
2. White Bear Lake Depot, with marker just visible on far right
the lake between Fourth and Seventh Streets as public parks. Similarly, the roads were dedicated to public use. Established in an orderly and farsighted manner with this townsite plat, White Bear Lake grew as a resort and residential community.
 
Erected 1971 by White Bear Lake Area Historical Society.
 
Location. 45° 5.101′ N, 93° 0.621′ W. Marker is in White Bear Lake, Minnesota, in Ramsey County. Marker is on U.S. 61 south of 4th Street, on the right when traveling south. On the north end of the White Bear Lake Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4751 Highway 61 N, Saint Paul MN 55110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gervais Grist Mill (approx. 5 miles away); Ramsey County Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Building the "Skally" (approx. 6.2 miles away); A History of Change (approx. 6.2 miles away); Gladstone Savanna's Natural History (approx. 6.3 miles away); History in Depth (approx. 6.3 miles away); Frost Avenue (approx. 6.6 miles away); Destination Lake Phalen (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for The Original Townsite Plat of White Bear Lake.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2019, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Last updated on June 5, 2019, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2019, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement