Clyde Double Drum-Cable Outhaul Log Skidder
The machine In front of you is the last remaining example of what was known as a "Clyde Skidder". Developed by the Clyde Iron Works of Duluth MN, shortly after 1902 and modified several times thereafter. In its initial version, it consisted of a steam hoisting engine, which could move the machine up and down the track by a chain drive, and a boom at one or both ends. The hoisting engine also powered a cable drum, and the cable was run over pulleys in the boom, and carried into the woods along with the log tongs by men on horseback. With the tongs attached to the log, the haulage cable was then rewound on the drum and the log dragged on the ground back to the skidder. Cable drums and hoisting engines set in each corner of the skidder, allowed logs to be skidded to the railroad from as many as four directions at once, from as far away as 1000 feet. This type of skidder was called a horse outhaul skidder.
The machine in front of you is an improvement on that type and is called a cable outhaul skidder. This machine allowed a light return cable to be taken into the woods, and run through a pulley attached to a tree trunk, or a tall stump.
This machine (builders # 321) was built for the Vernon Parish Lumber Co. at Kurthwood, LA, at the end of the Red River and Gulf western extension, in October, 1919. When VPLCo shut down in 1929. this skidder was purchased by Crowell and Spencer to supplement a skidder that they were using out of Hutton, LA. When the Hutton operation shut down in 1944, the skidder was brought here and stored.
The Crowell Companies, had at least 5 or 6 of these machines. Alexandria Lumber Co. purchased one of the early single drum machines prior to 1908. Crowell and Spencer also purchased a double drum machine in this time period. Meridian Lumber Co. purchased its machine (#310) in May, 1918. Alexandria Lumber purchased skidder #
No other examples of either a "single drum" or "double drum" Clyde skidder exist in the United States.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 31° 0.432′ N, 92° 33.41′ W. Marker is in Long Leaf, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker can be reached from Long Leaf Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longleaf LA 71448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crowell and Spencer Engine #400 (here, next to this marker); Locomotive #400 (a few steps from this marker); Clyde Log Skidder (a few steps from this marker); Locomotive Graveyard (a few steps from this marker); The "Roundhouse", The Machine Shop and the "Car Knockers Shed" (within shouting distance of this marker); The McGiffert Log Loader (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red River and Gulf RR Locomotive #106 (about 400 feet away); Old Planer Mill Machinery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Leaf.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Southern Forest Heritage Museum, Admission required.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2019.