Dripping Springs in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Chapman was integral to bringing about the first public works in the settlement. In the 1870s, Chapman likely helped build the first school and was a founding trustee of Hays County School District #10. In July 1872, Chapman provided land for the First Baptist Church, which later burned. Chapman donated two acres in 1881 for the construction of Dripping Springs Academy, which doubled as a school and a church. He built a boarding house and hotel to supplement the complex. Partnering with both A.L. Davis Sr. and Jr., Chapman became a prominent merchant.
In 1881, Chapman used Martha's 260 acres inherited from the Marshall estate to create twelve
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 20107.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 11.539′ N, 98° 5.568′ W. Marker is in Dripping Springs, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on West Mercer Street 0.1 miles east of U.S. 290, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dripping Springs TX 78620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Marshall-Chapman Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ben McCulloch No. 946 United Confederate Veterans (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Century-Old Wimberley Cemetery (approx. 13.4 miles away); John R. Dobie House (approx. 13˝ miles away); Roberts-Teague Cemetery (approx. 14.2 miles away); Lohmans Crossing (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.