Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Doyle Colored School

 
 
Doyle Colored School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 8, 2019
1. Doyle Colored School Marker
Inscription.  The Doyle School began as an African American school in 1909. The African American community raised $53 to move the frame building of the former school for white students after a new one was built. The land where the building was moved was donated by Anna W. Doyle, who was the head teacher for nearly two decades. The one-room schoolhouse had no utilities until running water was installed in 1920 and electric lights were installed in 1923. The black population in Kerrville was small and only 25 students from five north Kerrville families attended. The school expanded to include three classrooms, an auditorium, two bathrooms and a storage area. There was still no formal name for the school at the time. As enrollment grew to about 75 students in 1940, husband and wife B.T. and Itasco Wilson and Miss L.E. Cheeks were hired as teachers. B.T. (Prof) Wilson was revered in the community for his dedication to the students of Doyle. It was Wilson who decided that the school should be named after Anna W. Doyle.

The school had high enough enrollment for athletic teams, cheerleaders, a choir and a marching band. Classes included sports, theater,
Doyle Colored School Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 8, 2019
2. Doyle Colored School Marker Area
music and home economics, alongside traditional academic subjects. Integration of the Kerrville schools in 1964 reduced the school to a one-year program for elementary students. After one year, all African American students were integrated. In 1970, Doyle became a kindergarten campus under the direction of Starkey Elementary School Principal, Fred H. Tally, and Head Teacher, Jean Tally. B.T. Wilson continued to positively influence students in his new position and the sixth grade school was eventually named for him. The Doyle School building was sold to a non-profit neighborhood association and remains open as a community center.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18323.)
 
Location. 30° 3.38′ N, 99° 8.597′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on West Barnett Street west of Paschal Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 West Barnett Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barnett Chapel Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Settlers of Kerr County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Kerr County (approx. 0.7 miles away); James Kerr (approx. 0.7 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
away); Great Western Cattle Trail (approx. 4.6 miles away); Center Point, Texas (approx. 10.1 miles away); Camp Verde, Texas (approx. 10.1 miles away); Center Point Cemetery (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Doyle Colored School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement