Santa Barbara County Courthouse
National Historic Landmark
This courthouse complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States Of America
The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a superlative example of Spanish Colonial Revival Architecture. Moorish and Rural Andalusian design elements and massing make it unusual among county courthouses built in the United States during the first half of the Twentieth Century.
National Park Service
United States Department Of The Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 2005.
Location. 34° 25.453′ N, 119° 42.154′ W. Marker is in Santa Barbara, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Anacapa Street and E. Anapamu Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara CA 93101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jose Francisco De Ortega (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Santa Barbara County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); First Ruling Sovereign of Europe to Visit America (within shouting distance of this marker); President Reagan Meets Queen Elizabeth II
Also see . . . Santa Barbara County Courthouse (Wikipedia). "The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is located at 1100 Anacapa Street, in downtown Santa Barbara, California. The Spanish Colonial Revival style building was designed by William Mooser III and completed in 1929. Architect Charles Willard Moore called it the "grandest Spanish Colonial Revival structure ever built," and the prime example of Santa Barbara's adoption of Spanish Colonial as its civic style. The building replaced a smaller Greek Revival courthouse built at the same location in 1872–88 and badly damaged in an earthquake on June 29, 1925. The complex was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2005 for its architecture." (Submitted on June 11, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 11, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on June 11, 2019.