Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Facility 1433, Rail Bridge
Engineer troops began work for the 4.51-mile, standard gauge railroad in January 1918 by clearing heavily wooded areas before building wooden trestles to span low-lying areas. Facility No. 1433 replaced Wooden Trestle No. 5, which first carried FBMRR above U.S. Route 1. The 102nd Engineers, under Cornelius Vanderbilt III, built trestle Nos. 5 and 6 in 1918. Facility No. 1433, a single-span, concrete, single-track railroad bridge measuring 14 feet in width, was constructed in 1928. The bridge was removed in 2014 for road widening.
Erected 2018 by Fort Belvoir and the Federal Highway Administration.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsRailroads & Streetcars.
Location. 38° 42.524′ N, 77° 9.284′ W. Marker is in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Belvoir VA 22060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Facility 2298, Rail Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Belvoir (approx. 0.6 miles away); Belvoir (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alexandria, Mt. Vernon, and Accotink Turnpike (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Staff Sergeant John D. Linde Visitor Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Woodlawn Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away); Pohick Road Crossing (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Belvoir.
Also see . . . Historic American Engineering Record, Fort Belvoir Railroad Bridge (Facility No. 1433). (Submitted on June 12, 2019, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2019, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 12, 2019, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.