Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The DC-3 was the only transport aircraft being manufactured in large quantities at the beginning of the war. The popular DC-3 was designated as the C-47 by the U.S. Army Air Forces. It was the most used allied transport during the Second World War.
Around the world, the C-47 served by transporting food, fuel, ammunition, vehicles, medical supplies; evacuating wounded; dropping paratroopers; and towing more gliders than any other aircraft, time and again, it proved itself to be safe and reliable.
This aircraft, S/N-17278, started out as a C-47B ordered on a USAAF 1942 wartime procurement contract at the Douglas Oklahoma City Plant. It was one of 148 U.S. C-47Bs that were diverted to the U.S. Navy and re-designated as a R4D-68. The “S” suffice identified that it was outfitted as a submarine search aircraft. It flew along the eastern U.S. Seaboard. Aircraft is on loan courtesy National Museum of the Marine Corps, Quantico, Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
Location. 33° 39.459′ N, 101° 50.021′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on North Cedar Avenue, 0.1 miles east of Interstate 27, on the right when traveling north. Located in the Lubbock International Airport grounds housed in the historic Lubbock Airport Terminal. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6202 I-27 North, Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Glider Pilots (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); W. G. McMillan Construction Company (about 600 feet away); South Plains Army Air Field (about 600 feet away); Original Lubbock Municipal Airport (about 700 feet away); Site of Old Lubbock (approx. 1.8 miles away); Austin Brothers Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away); Landwer/Manicapelli Home (approx. 3.9 miles away); Prairie Dog Town (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Also see . . . Silent Wings Museum. (Submitted on June 13, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.