First United Methodist Church of Dallas
In 1916, the First Methodist and Trinity Methodist churches, both about one thousand members strong, were united. Money from the sale of the Trinity Methodist Church site went toward the construction of Highland Park Methodist Church. A new building was dedicated for the enlarged First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1926. By 1927, the membership was 3,440, and the congregation continued to grow. During the church's
During denomination-wide changes, First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, became First Methodist Church in 1939 and First United Methodist Church in 1968. It has long been instrumental in the formation of Methodist churches throughout North Texas and beyond. The First United Methodist Church of Dallas remains active in mission work, service and worship, observing the traditions of its founders.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11824.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 47.206′ N, 96° 47.963′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Ross Avenue and N Harwood Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Ross Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1928 Ross Avenue, Dallas TX 75201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. H. Belo House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dallas Symphony (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Cumberland Hill School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Karl St. John Hoblitzelle
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.