Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Noyer-Wildhagen House
286 Meeting Street
— built 1807 —
Soon after the house was constructed Ms. Noyer died and the property was sold to A. Burgess Gordon, a Scottish immigrant. In 1853 Mr. Gordon sold the property to Samuel Farrar, a wealthy grocer and after several subsequent owners the building was purchased by Laura V. Wildhagen in 1910. A doctor's office was located in the basement level with living space on the upper floors of the main house. In the 1920s a drugstore was opened in the basement and operated as one of the last remaining soda fountain drugstores in Charleston from 1951 until 1984 when a devastating fire damaged the upper floors. Construction of the two-story arcaded piazza and the pedimented piazza screen entry with fanlight were replicated during the restoration
The property is located on the western boundary of the Ansonborough neighborhood, Charleston's first suburb, named for George Anson (1697-1762), commander of His Majesty's ship Scarborough. Anson, who acquired the land in 1726, had it surveyed by George Hunter in 1746 and the building lots were laid out along new streets, extending the regular grid pattern of the city.
Erected 2014 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 47.089′ N, 79° 55.971′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Meeting Street south of George Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject house, just to the left of the front entrance, facing Meeting Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 286 Meeting Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Light Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Project SC 1233 F (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice, Rattlesnakes, and Rainwater14 George Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Joseph Johnson House (about 500 feet away); A History of Courtenay Square (about 600 feet away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); William C. McElheran House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on June 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.