Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Little White Church at Bee Ridge

 
 
The Little White Church at Bee Ridge Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 27, 2019
1. The Little White Church at Bee Ridge Marker Side 1
Inscription.  Side 1

In 1915, Bee Ridge, then part of Manatee County, supported a train station, post office, hotel, general store, and school. A second wave of settlers who moved into Bee Ridge desired a church in their community. In January, 1917, the Reverend J. F. Winnard, D.D., Superintendent of Missions in St. John's Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church, U.S., organized the Presbyterian Church of Bee Ridge, Florida, with twenty-nine charter members. Bee Ridge Presbyterian Church thus became the second Presbyterian Church in the Sarasota area.

Mrs. Potter Palmer, through the Sarasota-Venice Company, presented the church with two corner lots at Proctor and McIntosh Roads. A congregation-appointed building committee, under Elder J. F. Robie, began construction. The Home Mission Committee in Atlanta provided a loan to cover the cost of the building. Dedication was on December 7, 1919.

A major hurricane in 1926 demolished the church. While using the Bee Ridge Baptist Church for services, the congregation rebuilt the church and dedicated it on March 8, 1927.
(Continued on other side)

Side 2
(Continued from other side)
On

The Little White Church at Bee Ridge Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 27, 2019
2. The Little White Church at Bee Ridge Marker Side 2
June 21, 1927, lightning struck the new church, and burned it to the ground. Saved from the fire were a piano, six pews, and most of the Bibles and hymnals. A $1000 insurance policy on the burned church provided funds to rebuild. The congregation worshipped in the Bee Ridge Woman's Club during construction. This new wood frame church, in the Gothic Revival style, contained a narthex, a sanctuary, and two classrooms. October 2, 1927 was dedication Sunday. Growth of church membership in the 1940s led to the erection of an educational building and new sanctuary. Construction of the Victor Lundy-designed sanctuary necessitated moving the Little White Church farther back on the property in 1956.

In 1989, the Albritton family completed restoration of the Little White Church, in memory of family members.

The much beloved Little White Church is presently used for the 8:30 a.m. Sunday service, small groups, weddings, and special services, and continues to be a vital part of the worship at Bee Ridge Presbyterian Church.
 
Erected 1999 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 27° 16.981′ N, 82° 28.908′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is at the intersection of McIntosh Road and Proctor Road, on the right when traveling

The Little White Church at Bee Ridge Marker and chapel image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 27, 2019
3. The Little White Church at Bee Ridge Marker and chapel
south on McIntosh Road. Marker is in front of the chapel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4826 McIntosh Road, Sarasota FL 34233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bee Ridge Woman's Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilson Family and Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Railroad History (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bispham Dairy (approx. 3 miles away); Friendship Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Avondale (approx. 4.1 miles away); Palmer Ranch (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Wallendas (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for The Little White Church at Bee Ridge.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement