Near Palestine in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Woodhouse School
Most of the teachers from Long Lake, Tucker and Magnolia returned to teach at Woodhouse for its opening session in the fall of 1938. Originally serving grades one through eight, the school added a grade each year until 1942, when the first senior class graduated and the first yearbook was published. First superintendent of the school district was J.P. Brookshire, who remained in that position until 1939.
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) built additional facilities for Woodhouse School in 1941, including an agriculture building, a cafeteria and a home economics cottage. Athletic programs centered around basketball, and Woodhouse fielded competitive boys' and girls' basketball teams throughout
Consolidation with the Four Pines School to create Westwood School signaled the closing of Woodhouse. The class of 1960 was the last to graduate from Woodhouse, although its facilities continued in use until 1979. Woodhouse remains an important part of the history of rural education in Anderson County.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12643.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 31° 39.272′ N, 95° 45.561′ W. Marker is near Palestine, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is on State Highway 294 half a mile east of U.S. 79, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palestine TX 75801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christopher Columbus Rogers (approx. 10.2 miles away); The I&GN Railroad in Palestine (approx. 10.2 miles away); Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Palestine High School (approx. 10.6 miles away); Roy B. Wallace (approx. 10.6 miles away); Robert (Bob) Knight (approx. 10.6 miles away); Dr. Bonner Frizzell (approx. 10.6 miles away); John H. Reagan (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palestine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.