Near Goshen in Oldham County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Eighteen Mile Island, part of farm, was first source of water for county public water system in 1964. In 1997 Laura Lee Brown and James Steven Wilson founded a nationally recognized breeding farm for American bison. In 2003 farm placed under protection from development with Department of Agriculture Purchase of Agriculture Conservation Easement program.
Erected 2004 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2156.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 38° 27.556′ N, 85° 27.888′ W. Marker is near Goshen, Kentucky, in Oldham CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4716 Greenhaven Ln, Goshen KY 40026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Westport (approx. 1.4 miles away); Westport Courthouse / The Courthouse and Enslavement (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lagrange Training School / Rosenwald Schools (approx. 5˝ miles away); Oldham County, 1824 (approx. 5.8 miles away); James and Amanda Mount Home / J.C. Barnett Library and Archives (approx. 5.8 miles away); Funk Seminary Site (approx. 5.8 miles away); William Berry Taylor of Spring Hill (approx. 5.8 miles away); Colonel William Oldham (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Woodland Farm. Article by Helen McKinney at ExploreKYhistory.ky.gov. Excerpt:
The Gottbrath family owned and managed Clifton from 1899-1956. During this time, Clifton became known for its herd of the finest purebred Hereford Cattle, Poland-china hogs, and Southdown sheep produced on the Gottbrath Stock Farm. In 1956, George and Helen Egger began purchasing bottomland from the Gottbrath family and tried to restore the farm to its original acreage. The Eggers leased the down river portion of 18 Mile Island to the Ohio River-Oldham Water District I 1964.(Submitted on July 3, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.