La Grange in Oldham County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Funk Seminary Site
Erected 1966 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 957.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 24.519′ N, 85° 22.76′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Kentucky, in Oldham County. Marker is at the intersection of North 1st Street (Kentucky Route 53) and West Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 W Jefferson St, La Grange KY 40031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceOldham County, 1824 (within shouting distance of this marker); William Berry Taylor of Spring Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel William Oldham (about 400 feet away); 104 East Main Street (about 400 feet away); James and Amanda Mount Home / J.C. Barnett Library and Archives (about 400 feet away); A Masonic Leader (approx. 0.2 miles away); William T. Barbour House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. Excerpt:
As a means to support the school, a one-dollar donation was requested from each Freemason in Kentucky. Tuition was six dollars, but was waived for students whose father was a Mason and was either very poor, or dead.(Submitted on July 3, 2019.)
The first president of the Masonic University was J.R. Finley, who was paid a yearly salary of $750. Finley traveled throughout the United States from 1844 to 1846 to attain "books, maps, and mineralogical specimens" from various Masonic lodges. The journey also saw fifty-eight new students for the school, including one from Spain and four from France.
Students at the school did not live on campus, but instead boarded in nearby homes. However, they never studied at the homes, but instead in the individual school rooms under the supervision of one of the professors. The schools were nonsectarian; students could attend who had no relationship to a Freemason. The commencement ceremonies, first held on July 23, 1847, were not open to the general public. Subjects taught were reading, writing, math, Greek, Latin, and bookkeeping. It was mandatory for those who attended the university due to charity to learn one of the following: carpentry, coopering, horseshoeing, horticulture, or smithing.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.