Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gladewater in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House

 
 
Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 23, 2019
1. Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House Marker
Inscription.  Edgar Lathgro Walker of Tennessee wed Nannie E. Lewis, a native of Kentucky, in 1891. The couple later brought their two young daughters, Lena and Alma, to Gladewater to visit E.L.'s brother, William, and they decided to stay. Their third daughter, Bessie, was born in Gladewater in 1898. E.L., a graduate of the Cincinnati School of Medicine, opened a medical practice and drugstore. He purchased this site from W.S. and Sara Austin on October 23, 1895, and he and Nannie completed their new home sometime before 1910. Their property eventually extended all the way to the Sabine River and included several barns, a cookhouse, oil wells and derricks, and oil storage tanks.

The Walker House, with its main body constructed of concrete blocks, is Neoclassical in design, with a symmetrical façade, pronounced two-story portico, Ionic columns, five-bay front and pedimented dormer window. The three-story structure also has two concrete basements. Initially intended for use as an infirmary, the third floor space served as an attic with access to a rooftop widow's walk. Original features included ten fireplaces, a two-floor elevator and fifteen rooms.
Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 23, 2019
2. Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House Marker Area
A concrete balustrade, too heavy for use on the second-floor porch, became a unique fence. Changes over the years included additional rooms and the removal of the elevator, donated to a World War II scrap metal drive.

Following the deaths of her parents, Bessie (Walker) and husband Otto Staerker lived in the house, which stayed in the family until 1969. Subsequent owners have ensured the house remains a landmark, a link to the Walker family and early Gladewater.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13281.)
 
Location. 32° 32.013′ N, 94° 56.608′ W. Marker is in Gladewater, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street and South Center Street, on the right when traveling east on East Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gladewater TX 75647, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gladewater Discovery Well (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Ben Shepperd (about 800 feet away); First Franchised Motor Bus Line in Texas (about 800 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Gladewater (approx. ¼ mile away); Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¼ mile away); Foshee Family Homestead
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Rosedale Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gladewater (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gladewater.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement