Jasper in Jasper County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Twice the property of Beaty family members, this lot was purchased by Thomas Beaty in 1843 and sold in 1851. His grandson, John T. Beaty (1855-1937), acquired the site again in 1888 and erected this 2-story Victorian residence of native pine. A lawyer and a former Jasper County sheriff, Beaty served three terms as state senator from the 14th District, 1901-1906. After Beaty's death, his daughter, Marguerite, and her husband, local druggist J. M. Orton (d. 1942), occupied the house. In 1971 Mrs. Orton (d. 1973) sold it to the city of Jasper, which later restored it.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10433.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 55.178′ N, 94° 0.031′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Water Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jasper County, C. S. A. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jasper County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Jasper County (about 700 feet away); Belle-Jim Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Jasper Public Schools (approx. half a mile away); Waggoner-Scarborough Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2019.