Big Lake in Reagan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Big Lake
The land on which the original townsite of Big Lake was located was owned in 1903 by T. H. Taylor who sold 320 acres to the Orient Land Company, which agreed to build a railroad station and lay out a town to be called Big Lake.
The city took its name from a lake created by rain which gathers in a natural land depression about one and one half miles from here. Once filled by spring-fed water, it is now the largest dry lake in Texas. In pioneer days it was the only known fresh water between the Concho River and springs at Fort Stockton and was a campsite for Indians, Mexican traders and cattle drivers. Oldest house in Reagan County, the John Gardner house, is located near its banks.
The town was established in 1911. Its first economic activity was a stockpen built by the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railroad, a hotel, and a grocery store. It grew up around the line of the railroad, and by 1915 had about fifty families.
Big Lake was incorporated on May 28, 1923, and in 1925 became the seat of Reagan County. Land additions were made in 1914 and 1925. Today the city is a center for the oil and gas industry.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 880.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 28, 1923.
Location. 31° 12.299′ N, 101° 27.355′ W. Marker is in Big Lake, Texas, in Reagan County. Marker is on an unnamed park road, 0.3 miles north of East 12th Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at the north end of the Reagan County Park, near the old railroad depot building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Lake TX 76932, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John H. Reagan (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named John H. Reagan (approx. one mile away); Martin-Castillo Expedition (approx. one mile away); Stiles Cemetery (approx. 14.2 miles away); Site of the First Court House Built in Reagan County (approx. 15˝ miles away).
Also see . . . Big Lake, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.