Dixmont in Penobscot County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Dixmont Town House
Built in 1836
The Town House was built with a king-post trussing system, fabricated with mortise and tenon joinery and held together with wooden pegs. The interior is a single, open room designed for Town Meetings and other Town gatherings. The first Town Meeting was held here in 1837 and then yearly until 1922. From 1922 to 1952 it was used intermittently for Town Meetings. After 1952 various civic and private functions were held here.
In 2003 the Dixmont Historical Society Committee was established and one of the Committee's first projects was the renovation of the deteriorating Town House. The goal of this endeavor is to return this historic structure back into a community building usable for public, private and educational events.
Erected by Dixmont Historical Society Committee
Location. 44° 41.106′ N, 69° 8.05′ W. Marker is in Dixmont, Maine, in Penobscot County. Marker is on Western Avenue (U.S. 202) east of Lillians Lane, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the northwest corner of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Western Avenue, Dixmont ME 04932, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding The Dixmont Town House. National Register of Historic Places #14000361
Also see . . . Dixmont Town House (Wikipedia). It is one of the oldest surviving town houses in the state, built for strictly secular civic uses; only the Turner Town House (1831) is known to be older. (Submitted on July 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Dixmont Town House.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.