The home of several leading Newton County businessmen, this house was constructed in 1912 by turpentine producer L. M. Autrey. In 1918 he sold it to N. A. Dawson, a road contractor. From 1923 to 1979 it was the home of lumberman and civic leader Thomas Williams and his family. Built of long-leaf pine lumber, it was modeled after the Malbis Plantation near Mobile, Alabama, and features characteristics of the classical and Victorian styles. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
Incised below text
Acquired in 1979 by Attorney D.S. Hillard for use as a Law Office.
Official Historical Medallion
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11082.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 51.15′ N, 93° 45.212′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Street and Court Street (State Highway 505), on the right when traveling
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woods Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); W. H. Ford Male & Female College (approx. half a mile away); Town of Newton (approx. half a mile away); Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (approx. half a mile away); William Blewett (approx. half a mile away); Newton County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2019.