Pearland in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The 1937 Pearland High School
Fifty-eight students attended Pearland High School in fall 1937. The first challenge they and their carefully assembled faculty tackled was that of accreditation. This was achieved in the school's first year so that every Pearland graduate would have the option of going on to college.
The school was a focal point for social and recreational activities as well as academics. The Pearland Oilers excelled at several popular sports; The Gusher, later called The Pipeline, was the school newspaper. The yearbook also was
The structure is a typical early 20th century schoolhouse made of brick veneer, a solid material built to withstand time and weather. It survives with few alterations. Architectural features of interest include the offset central entry bay with shed dormers. A new high school was erected in 1953 and this structure became part of the Pearland elementary schools.
Pearland's first accredited high school, Common School District Number 1, Brazoria County Public Schools, 1937-1938 J. Paul Rogers, Superintendent County Schools B.B. Ainsworth, Superintendent Pearland Schools Board of Trustees: George M. Wall, president; Clyde Oblinger, secretary; F.E. Moore, member Teaching Staff: B.B. Ainsworth, superintendent and teacher; Billy M. Wall, principal and teacher; Lloyd C. Hawkins, coach and teacher; Oleta Campbell (Hawkins), teacher; Fay Brookshire (Hunter), teacher; Hazel Skinner (Muetz), teacher; Virginia Ainsworth, librarian.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11765.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education . A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 29° 33.85′ N, 95° 17.021′ W. Marker is in Pearland, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Grand Boulevard and East Broadway Street (Farm to Market Road 518), on the right when traveling north on North Grand Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pearland TX 77581, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Pearland (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zychlinski Park (about 600 feet away); Robert L. and Julia Martin Hunter (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Settler's Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pearland and the Santa Fe Railroad (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Home and First Family (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fig Preserving Plant (approx. 5½ miles away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pearland.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.