Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

South Charleston in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Ordnance Plant

 
 
Ordnance Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 13, 2019
1. Ordnance Plant Marker
Inscription.  This plant was built by the United States Government during the World War at a cost of over ten million dollars to supply armor plate for our navy. Nearby is one of the largest Indian mounds in the State.
 
Erected 1974 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMilitaryWar, World IWar, World II. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 38° 21.979′ N, 81° 42.211′ W. Marker is in South Charleston, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is at the intersection of MacCorkle Avenue SW (U.S. 60) and G Street, on the right when traveling east on MacCorkle Avenue SW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 MacCorkle Ave SW, Charleston WV 25303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Mound (approx. 0.4 miles away); War At The Front Door (approx. 2.2 miles away); Baptism By Fire
Ordnance Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 13, 2019
2. Ordnance Plant Marker
The intersection in the distance is G Street and the G Street entrance to the complex.
(approx. 2.2 miles away); George W. Summers (approx. 2.6 miles away); Battle of Charleston (approx. 3 miles away); Fort Scammon (approx. 3.1 miles away); Indian Mound / Mounds-Earthworks (approx. 3.2 miles away); West Virginia State University (approx. 3½ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Clio entry for this historic site. Excerpt: “Construction of the original facility began in 1917, but only a small number of gun forgings were completed in time for World War I. Put into a state of hibernation by the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922, the plant was reopened and expanded in 1939 and contributed significantly to the War Department’s efforts to produce weapons in the second World War.” (Submitted on August 2, 2019.) 
 
Former Ordnance Plant and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 13, 2019
3. Former Ordnance Plant and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 106 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021