St. Andrews in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
Greenock Church / L’Église Greenock
This elegant church marks the growth of Presbyterianism and the Kirk of Scotland in New Brunswick. Built in 1821-1824, the structure successfully combines the American meeting house form with the British Palladian style. The building's fine proportions and classical details complement its simple, symmetrical plan. The original box pews and two-tiered pulpit, bird's-eye maple columns and decorative mouldings create a rich interior. The carved green oak on the steeple symbolizes Greenock, the Scottish home of the church's benefactor, Christopher Scott.
Cette élégante église témoigne de l’essor de la tradition presbytérienne et de la Kirk d' Écosse au Nouveau-Brunswick. Construit entre 1821 et 1824, l'édifice marie la forme du "meeting house” américain et le style palladien britannique. Les proportions harmonieuses et les détails classiques mettent en valeur un plan simple et symétrique. Les bancs en caisson, la chaire à deux niveaux, les colonnes d'érable moucheté et les moulures décoratives concourent à la richesse de l’intérieur. Le chêne vert sculpté sur la flèche symbolise Greenock, village
Erected 1998 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 4.608′ N, 67° 3.223′ W. Marker is in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of Montague Street and Edward Street, on the right when traveling west on Montague Street. Marker is located directly in front of the subject church, just to the left of the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 135 Montague Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick E5B 1H8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Andrews Historic District (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); St. Croix River (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The 200 Million Year Wait is Over! (approx. half a kilometer away); Task Force Afghanistan (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); War of 1812: Defending St. Andrews (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Blockhouse 101 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Two hundred years and counting (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Andrews.
Also see . . .
1. Greenock Presbyterian Church. The Greenock Presbyterian Church is also recognized for its association with the early religious struggles in St. Andrews and for its connection with Christopher Scott and the Country of Scotland. From the arrival of the Loyalists in 1783 until 1820, the Protestant Church was the only church in St. Andrews. (Submitted on August 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Christopher Scott biography. Scott was regarded by his Greenock kin as something of an “adventurer.” He never married, but his will mentions “my reputed illegitimate son,” William Scott, to whom he left a considerable part of his fortune. He died on 29 July 1833 in England, having played a leading part in the development of New Brunswick’s shipbuilding industry and trade. (Submitted on August 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Greenock Church / L’Église Greenock.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.