Hyattsville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The City of Hyattsville
Welcome to the City of Hyattsville
Christopher Clark Hyatt purchased a land parcel in 1845 and soon after the surrounding farmland was subdivided into housing lots. By 1859, the tract officially began to be recognized as Hyattsville.
According to G. M. Hopkin's 1878 Atlas of Prince George's County, "Hyattsville ... has gradually increased in beauty and prosperity until it stands as one of the foremost villages between Washington and Baltimore."
In 2004, Hyattsville's National Historic District was extended to include over 1,000 primary resources. The District also includes two sites separately designated as Historic Sites - the U. S. Post Office on Gallatin Street, built in the 1930's and the Armory, built in 1918.
Enjoy your visit to our thriving community and enjoy our "small town" again.
Erected by Anacostia Trails Heritage Area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 38° 57.148′ N, 76° 56.416′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hyattsville MD 20781, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Route One, Our Hometown Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hyattsville National Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adam F. Plummer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Suffrage Motorcade (approx. 0.6 miles away); Riversdale (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Harry Smith House (approx. 0.7 miles away); This Demiculverin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Welcome to Riversdale (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hyattsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 865 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on November 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.