Glen Rose in Somervell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank
Hand hewn-native stone structure, built 1896 by A. P. Humphreys, as saloon. Lodge hall upstairs hosted dances, socials, stage shows.
First National moved in, 1902, with such customers as Col. Charles Goodnight, trail-blazing cattleman.
Scene of 1917 robbery and shooting of one bandit.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1781.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 14.082′ N, 97° 45.321′ W. Marker is in Glen Rose, Texas, in Somervell County. Marker is at the intersection of Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) and Elm Street (State Highway 144), on the right when traveling north on Northeast Barnard Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Northeast Barnard Street, Glen Rose TX 76043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Somervell County (within shouting distance of this marker); Somervell County VeteransSomervell County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dinosaur Tracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Squaw Creek Indian Fight, 1864 (approx. 3˝ miles away); Comanche Peak (approx. 10.6 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is missing the usual medallion with the seal of the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. Only the plaque containing the marker text remains.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 115 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.