Granbury in Hood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hood County Courthouse
Fifth courthouse on this site. Erected 1890-1891, this handsome building is a Texas version of the French Second Empire style.
First courthouse (1867) was a 1-room log cabin housing county records, lawyers and land agents' offices, and mail station. It was succeeded by 3 stone structures.
Contractors Moodie & Ellis and Architect W.C. Dodson built this native stone edifice. The clock tower, added after completion, was reinforced with steel in 1969.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2552.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 32° 26.555′ N, 97° 47.223′ W. Marker is in Granbury, Texas, in Hood County. Marker is on East Pearl Street (Business U.S. 377), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Pearl Street, Granbury TX 76048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City named for Texas Confederate General H.B. Granbury (here, next to this marker); Nellie Gray RobertsonCounty Named for Famous Confederate General John Bell Hood (a few steps from this marker); Harris Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Granbury Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Haynes-Burns-Ewell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Granbury House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bush-Morgan-Cherry Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.