Urbana in Champaign County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bailey and Barclay Halls / Johnny Appleseed
Bailey and Barclay Halls
Urbana University was established by the Swedenborgian Church in 1850. Bailey Hall (1853), named after Francis Bailey (1735-1815), was designed by W. Russell West, architect of the Statehouse of Ohio. Bailey was an American Revolutionary War hero, official printer of the Continental Congress and printer of The Freeman's Journal or the North American Intelligencer. He also printed The True Christian Religion papers. John (Johnny Appleseed) Chapman (1774-1845) distributed The True Christian Religion papers along with his famous apple trees throughout Ohio as a missionary for the Swedenborgian Church. Barclay Hall (1883) was named after Hester Barclay, a ward of Francis Bailey. It was Hester Barclay's brother-in-law, John Young, who converted Chapman to the Swedenborg faith. Francis Bailey and Hester Barclay were the first male and female Swedenborgian converts in North America. Both Bailey and Barclay halls appear on the National Register of Historic Places.
Francis Bailey's son-in-law, Colonel
Erected 2003 by Urbana University, Johnny Appleseed Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Patriots & Patriotism. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 40° 6.135′ N, 83° 45.726′ W. Marker is in Urbana, Ohio, in Champaign County. Marker is on College Way, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 579 College Way, Urbana OH 43078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Xue, Bian, and Sun Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Anderson Ward Farmstead / John Quincy Adams Ward & Edgar Melville Ward (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pennsylvania Railroad Depot (approx. half a mile away); Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. half a mile away); Billy "Single" Clifford /Clifford Theater (approx. half a mile away); Dayton, Springfield, and Urbana Electric Railway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Champaign County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Urbana.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Another Johnny Appleseed marker.
Also see . . . The Swedenborgian Church from Ohio History Central. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 4,954 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.