Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Charles in St. Charles County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Saint Charles

 
 
Saint Charles Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2019
1. Saint Charles Marker
Inscription.  First permanent settlement on the Missouri River, known as Les Petites Cotes (Fr. Little Hills) until after dedication of Church of St. Charles Borromeo, 1791. Though 1780 is given as date of founding French-Canadian Louis Blanchette first settled here in 1769.

The area was first settled by the French and later largely by Americans and Germans. Prominent early settlers were Daniel Boone and his family. Some 25 miles southwest is home of Boone's son, Nathan. The Boon's Lick and Salt River trails began at St. Charles.

During the War of 1812 military activity in Missouri centered at Portage des Sioux, a 1799 French settlement, 14 miles northeast. In Fort Zumwalt State Park, 20 miles west, stand the remains of one of many family forts of the area erected against Indian attacks.

Here were established the first school of the Sacred Heart of the U.S., 1818, by Mother Duchesne; Baptist and Presbyterian churches, 1818; first Masonic lodge north of Missouri River, 1819; a town academy, chartered, 1820; a newspaper, "The Missourian," 1820; and the Methodist St. Charles College, chartered 1837.

St. Charles was
Saint Charles Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2019
2. Saint Charles Marker
made the temporary State Capital, 1821-1826, by act of the First General Assembly, meeting in St. Louis, 1820. Here the Legislature, by affirming in a "Solemn Public Act" that the rights of any U.S. citizen would not be abridged, met the final Congressional requirement for statehood. Debate over the slavery issue that greeted Missouri's petition for statehood resolved itself in the Missouri Compromise of 1820. Slavery was prohibited north of 36 30' except in Missouri. On Aug. 10, 1821, Missouri became the 24th state.

Near here is the junction of the Missouri and Mississippi. Marquette and Jolliet noted this point, 1673, and here the Lewis and Clark Expedition began its ascent of the Missouri, 1804. Three bridges cross the Missouri and two cross the Mississippi in St. Charles County.

Seat of justice for one of Missouri's first 5 counties, earlier one of 5 Spanish districts, St. Charles serves as a farming and industrial area. Here are the Old State Capitol; Sacred Heart Convent; St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery; and Lindenwood College, chartered, 1853, founded earlier by George and Mary Sibley, one of oldest schools for women in Mississippi Valley.
 
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
 
Location. 38° 46.644′ N, 90° 28.896′ W. Marker is in St. Charles, Missouri, in St. Charles County. Marker is on South Riverside Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Charles MO 63301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of 426 South Main Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mother-in-Law House (about 500 feet away); Glenday/Zeisler Home (about 500 feet away); Home of Dr. Jeremiah Millington (about 600 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Stone Building / Brick Building (about 700 feet away); Stone Row (about 700 feet away); Farmer's Home (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Charles.
 
Categories. ExplorationSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 

More. Search the internet for Saint Charles.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement