Hampden in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley
As business boomed, Carroll and Gambrill built more textile mills along the Jones Falls. Over the years, Whitehall was expanded, burned, rebuilt, and even renamed. Upon rebuilding after an 1854 fire, the name was changed to Clipper Mill.
By the end of the century, the enterprise was folded into the Mount Vernon-Woodberry Cotton Duck Company, a national conglomerate that controlled as much as 80% of the world’s cotton duck manufacturing.
By 1925, however, the property was sold and converted to accommodate manufacturing new products. Several smaller companies passed through the mill, among them Purity Paper Vessels, a manufacturer of paper food containers and the I. Sekine Brush Company, a maker of men’s grooming products and toothbrushes. At one time, Penguin Books
Most recently, developer Terra Nova Ventures transformed the building into a mixed-use development with a planned market. Architects Alexander Design Studio restored much of the long-neglected mill, bringing new life to Whitehall Mill’s historic structure.
Erected by Baltimore Heritage Organization.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 39° 19.627′ N, 76° 38.204′ W. Marker is in Hampden in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Clipper Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2010 Clipper Mill Road, Baltimore MD 21211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Evergreen on the Falls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mill No. 3 (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Sense of Sanctuary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mill No. 1 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Meadow Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Woodberry (approx. half a mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of Harvey J. Burns, Jr. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampden.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.