Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Marksville "Colored" School Site
C.P. Couvillion donated this site in 1905 for the construction of a school for "Negroes" in the Marksville area. Its first eighth grade class began in 1933. First graduation was in 1940. Classes were held upstairs in the Masonic Hall on this site.
Erected by City of Marksville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 31° 7.467′ N, 92° 3.689′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Legion Drive and Denux Street, on the left on Legion Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marksville LA 71351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congregational First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Holy Ghost Catholic School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holy Ghost Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Auguste Voinche Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Frank Hotel Site (approx. Marksville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); J. Horace Ducote Law Office (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
More. Search the internet for Marksville "Colored" School Site.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2019.