Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Temple B’nai Israel

1840s

 
 
Temple B’nai Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, September 2, 2019
1. Temple B’nai Israel Marker
Inscription.  Temple B'nai Israel, at this location, had its origin with the first Jewish settlers in Tuscumbia, AL, in the 1840s. These early settlers quickly became part of the community and were commercially successful. The 1870s and 1880s were periods of growth and prosperity in Sheffield, AL, when more Jewish families moved into the area. Among them was a developer and first Mayor of Sheffield, Alfred Moses. Sabbath services were initially observed in family homes before being temporarily moved to the Masonic Lodge in Florence. In 1906, Temple B'nai Israel was chartered, and in 1908 the first synagogue was completed in Atlanta Ave. in Sheffield. A part-time rabbi was then engaged, religious services were observed, and Jewish education for children was initiated. Members of the Shoals Jewish community served in all the major U.S. wars. Louis Goldstein, a Sheffield congregant killed in action, was among 19 from Colbert County who died during WWI and WWII professionally. As the industrial base grew, more Jewish families came into the Shoals. After WWII the Jewish community continued to grow, prompting the construction of a new synagogue at this Hawthorne
Temple B’nai Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, September 2, 2019
2. Temple B’nai Israel Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street location 1953. Throughout its history, congregants of Temple B'nai Israel has taken an active role in local and regional charities and in addressing the social and economic concerns of this area. Temple B'nai Israel has continued to provide a strong Jewish presence into the 21st century and its inclusive congregation remains very active and community-oriented.

Shalom
 
Erected 2018 by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
 
Location. 34° 48.714′ N, 87° 40.641′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of E Hawthorne Street and Prospect Street, on the right when traveling west on E Hawthorne Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 E Hawthorne Street, Florence AL 35630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Wood Avenue Historic District—Expansion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wesleyan Hall 1855 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesleyan Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Florence State Teachers College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major General George Washington Goethals' Home (approx. ¼ mile away); T.S. Stribling Literary Landmark

Temple B’nai Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, September 2, 2019
3. Temple B’nai Israel Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); T.S. Stribling 1903 (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I Memorial Amphitheater (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=138786

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 29, 2021