"Oil City of the World" Kilgore
Geographical center of huge East Texas oil field. World's greatest concentration of steel derricks. Petroleum production, service, supply, processing hub.
Commercial, industrial, farm, education and medical center.
Home of Kilgore College and its famous "Rangerettes", women's precision drill team; and of Van Cliburn, international concert pianist.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9967.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 32° 23.451′ N, 94° 51.908′ W. Marker is in Kilgore, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on North Kilgore Street near North Henderson Boulevard (Business U.S. 259), on the right when traveling east. Located in traffic triangle. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: North Kilgore Street, Kilgore TX 75662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association on Kilgore, Texas history. (Submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.