Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Efforts to establish a Catholic church in the area began shortly after the Civil War when Fort Stockton was reoccupied by United States troops. The first services were conducted in 1872 by Father Claude Jaillet and Father Adolfo Guichon. Construction of the present church building began three years later. Located on land donated by Peter Gallagher, it was built of adobe on a stone foundation. The structure was remodeled in the 1960s.
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places - 1973
Erected 1966 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5048.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 52.936′ N, 102° 52.744′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is on South Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 South Main Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Site of Fort Stockton (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Stockton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Annie Riggs Hotel (about 400 feet away); Grey Mule Saloon (about 500 feet away); Koehler's Saloon and Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); O. W. Williams (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Comanche Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.