Mineola Public Library
In 1955, the library moved to the Reneau Building on South Johnson Street and then to an empty store building on North Johnson Street in 1957. However, the library would have to move again because of space limitations. The Judge family was instrumental in the fundraising campaign for a new building, including their help in convincing community leader Harry Meredith to donate $50,000 for the project. He set up the Meredith Foundation to handle the financial gift, and construction began on this location in 1959.
In 1979, Mineola city representatives decided to discontinue financial support of the library. The institution then changed names, becoming a locally-funded library when the Meredith Foundation agreed to become its benefactor. Today, Mineola Memorial Library continues to encourage literacy for residents of all ages in the community.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16338.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is May 22, 1950.
Location. 32° 39.93′ N, 95° 29.258′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pacific Street (U.S. 69) and East Blair Street, on the left when traveling north on North Pacific Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Pacific Street, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harry W. Meredith (within shouting distance of this marker); Sarah Rosalie Patten Buchanan (about
Also see . . . Mineola Memorial Library website - Early History. Notes the contribution of land provided by the J.C. Judge family (mentioned on the marker) to build the library. (Submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.