Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gladewater in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Gladewater Discovery Well

Snavely #1

 
 
The Gladewater Discovery Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. The Gladewater Discovery Well Marker
Inscription.  On April 7, 1931 this wildcat well drilled by Selby Oil and Gas Co. of Tulsa, OK. came-in at 1000 barrels an hour. Located in the Sabine River bottom a mile south of town, it connected Gladewater to the vast East Texas Oil Field stretching from Longview's Lathrop Well 7 miles north, to Kilgore's Crim Well 14 miles south. Royalty owners were the Snavely family of Martinsville, IL. headed by Judge Herschel Snavely, nine relatives came to watch the drilling. L.C. Snavely acquired interest in this land when several Illinois investors underwrote the sawmill, lumber operation of James Moore who in 1906 bought 4200 acres for $20,000 and moved his enterprise to Gladewater by train. Moore's mill was destroyed in 1913 by a boiler explosion. In 1914 he surveyed and divided the land into equal sections. Investors drew lots to determine their parcels. Oil was discovered under the entire 4200-acre tract. Texaco, Inc. operated the well from 1938 until its shut-down on November 30, 1957. Texaco closed its local office in 1987 after 54 years in Gladewater, and donated to the city this pumping unit from the Texaco-Snavely "A" Lease #1. The original derrick was
The Gladewater Discovery Well and marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. The Gladewater Discovery Well and marker.
Marker is to left of pump.
Click or scan to see
this page online
wooden.
 
Erected 2000 by Gladewater Heritage Society. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationIndustry & CommerceNatural Resources. A significant historical date for this entry is April 7, 1931.
 
Location. 32° 32.083′ N, 94° 56.708′ W. Marker is in Gladewater, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on West Commerce Avenue west of North Main Street (U.S. 271), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 West Commerce Avenue, Gladewater TX 75647, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rosendale Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp's Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladewater (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladewater Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Development of Gladewater (within shouting distance of this marker); The Notorious Bonnie & Clyde (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnny Cash (within shouting distance of this marker); Elvis Presley (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gladewater.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=139134

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022