Rains County Courthouse
The first courthouse, a temporary log structure, served the county for nearly two years, when a two-room building was constructed. It and all the records housed within it burned in 1879, and the county returned to the log structure until a two-story, red brick courthouse was completed in 1884. It was gutted by fire in 1908, but the steel vault containing county records survived the fire. The Bryan Architectural Company of St. Louis, Missouri was selected to design a new courthouse, built around the steel vault still in its original location. Crushed brick from the 1884 building was used in the foundation. The Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky served as builder, and the new facility opened in 1909.
The courthouse exhibits a unique cruciform plan with projecting
The courthouse square has long served as a social gathering place. Notable speakers on the square have included U.S. Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn and former president Lyndon Johnson. The site of community fairs, festivals, celebrations and parades, the square continues to be a focal point for Emory and Rains County.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13149.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions.
Location. 32° 52.467′ N, 95° 45.892′ W. Marker is in Emory, Texas, in Rains County. Marker is at the intersection of Quitman Street and North Texas Street (Farm to Market Road 2795), on the right when traveling west on Quitman Street. On lawn of Rains County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rains County (a few steps from this marker); Near Offices of "Rains County Leader" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Amis House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Rains County (approx. ¼ mile away); Emory Rains (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ambrose Fitzgerald (approx. half a mile away); Site of Fraser Brick Company (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Texas Escapes article on the Rains County Courthouse. (Submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.