First United Methodist Church of Gilmer
In 1854, the congregation organized a men's academy; two years later, they established a women's academy. These two schools, later administered by the local Masonic lodge, continued until they closed in 1862, during the Civil War. Education remained important in the Gilmer Methodist Church, which supported reading and writing in its Sunday School programs for all ages.
The congregation's first two sanctuaries were frame structures. At this site, deeded to the church in 1881, stood the second structure, a white, Gothic revival building. The congregation, with more than 450 members, built a larger brick structure here in 1911. In 1924, church
Organizations within the church have included the youth and choir programs, as well as the Women's Home Missionary Society and the Men's Bible Class. Through its mission and outreach, and with expanded facilities, Gilmer's First United Methodist Church continues to serve its community more than 150 years after its first worship services.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12895.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 32° 43.744′ N, 94° 56.917′ W. Marker is in Gilmer, Texas, in Upshur County. Marker is at the intersection of North Montgomery Street and West Tyler Street, on the right when traveling north on North Montgomery Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Montgomery Street, Gilmer TX 75644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Gilmer (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Croley Funeral Home (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.