Kensington in Prince County, Prince Edward Island — The Atlantic Provinces
Kensington Station / Gare de Kensington
In 1871 the Colony of Prince Edward Island embarked upon the construction of a circuitous 147-mile railway covering the 120-mile distance between Georgetown and Alberton. The high cost of building the line added substantially to the public debt and helped to persuade the colony to enter Confederation in 1873. The town of Kensington was among the numerous communities accommodated by the Prince Edward Island Railway. This distinctive stone station was designed by an Island architect, Charles Chappell, and built in 1904 to replace an earlier frame structure.
En 1871, les Colons de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard entreprenaient la construction d'un chemin de fer d'une longueur de 147 milles, pour franchir les 120 milles entre Georgetown et Alberton. Le coût élevé de la construction de cette ligne sinueuse cribla la colonie de dettes et précipita son entrée dans la Confédération en 1873. Kensington est une des nombreuses localités que desservait le chemin de fer. Charles Chappell, architecte de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard, conçut la gare de pierre qui fut érigée en 1904, en remplacement
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 46° 26.271′ N, 63° 38.329′ W. Marker is in Kensington, Prince Edward Island, in Prince County. Marker is on Broadway Street North (Prince Edward Island Route 20) just north of Commercial Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level near the northeast corner of the subject Kensington Station, facing Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 62 Broadway Street North, Kensington, Prince Edward Island C0B 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Stop Along the PEI Railway Route (a few steps from this marker); Joining the Confederation (within shouting distance of this marker); Challenges in Store for the PEI Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); The PEI Railway Began Operation on 25 May, 1875 (within shouting distance of this marker); Unique Architecture and Cultural Significance (within shouting distance of this marker); The Age of Steam Becomes the Age of Diesel (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works (about 150 meters away); Preserving Locomotive 1762 (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kensington.
Regarding Kensington Station / Gare de Kensington. National Historic Site of Canada (1976). The station building has been used as a box office, library, tourist information center, and as a storage site for the PEI Railway Heritage Association. In 2006, it was renovated for use as a restaurant.
Also see . . . Kensington Railway Station (Wikipedia). This station was the third built at the site, and one of two "boulder stations," (the other being at Alberton), built by Charles Benjamin Chappell in 1904, so named for the fieldstone composing its exterior walls. (Submitted on September 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.