Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Canton in Stark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Walsh University

 
 
Walsh University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 21, 2019
1. Walsh University Marker
Inscription.  The Brothers of Christian Instruction founded Walsh University in 1958. It is named for Bishop Emmett M. Walsh, then leader of the Diocese of Youngstown. The order created the institution to provide a college-level education that developed students' moral virtues and sense of social responsibility as embodied in traditional Judeo-Christian values. As of 2015, Walsh University is the only Catholic university in the diocese and the only university sponsored by the Brothers of Christian Instruction, a religious order founded by the Fathers Jean Marie de la Mennais and Gabriel Deshayes in France in 1819. The University's mission reflects the Brothers' commitment to provide quality Catholic education with an international perspective to all who seek it, and to develop leaders in service to others. Since Walsh's founding, it has become a successful regional and international Catholic university.
 
Erected 2015 by Walsh University and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 24-76.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1958.
 
Location.
Walsh University Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 23, 2019
2. Walsh University Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 52.451′ N, 81° 22.039′ W. Marker is in North Canton, Ohio, in Stark County. Marker can be reached from East Maple Street. Marker is located on the Northeast end of the campus near Farrell Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2020 E Maple St, Canton OH 44721, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hoover Historical Center (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Williams Brick Plant (approx. 3.9 miles away); “The Cradle of Professional Football” (approx. 4 miles away); Martin Luther King Jr. in Canton (approx. 4.2 miles away); Spanish Mortar (approx. 4.7 miles away); French Cannon (approx. 4.7 miles away); Base of the Conning Tower of the US Battleship Maine (approx. 4.7 miles away); Nimisilla Park (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Welcome to Walsh University. (Submitted on September 22, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Walsh University Campus – East Quad image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 23, 2019
3. Walsh University Campus – East Quad
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel is in the distance.
Walsh University Campus – East Quad image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 23, 2019
4. Walsh University Campus – East Quad
The Aultman Health Foundation Byers School of Nursing is in the distance.
Walsh University Campus – East Quad image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 23, 2019
5. Walsh University Campus – East Quad
La Mennais Hall
Walsh University Campus – East Quad image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 23, 2019
6. Walsh University Campus – East Quad
Farrell Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 22, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 18, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=139962

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2021