Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Davidson-Penland House

 
 
Davidson-Penland House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 21, 2019
1. Davidson-Penland House Marker
Inscription.  Constructed between 1866 and 1868, this house belonged to a number of significant Galveston residents. Captain John Davidson, an immigrant from Norway and early Galveston settler, built it. In 1870, two years after Davidson died in an attempt to rescue a pilot from a wrecked bark, his widow, Sophia (Dettmar), sold the home to Mary (Fisher) Mckeen, daughter of 1842 Fisher-Miller land grant coauthor Henry Fisher.

In 1872, the Mckeens sold this house to Samuel Moore Penland (1845 – 1922). A grandnephew of Sam Houston and native of Alabama, Penland served in Galveston during the Civil War and settled in the city afterward. Addressed as Major Penland because of his tenure in the Texas Volunteer Guards, he was also an auctioneer, businessman and customs official. Penland also served as an original trustee of the Galveston Orphans’ Home. He donated a number of Sam Houston’s artifacts and his own collection of letters of other famous individuals to the Galveston Rosenberg Library. William N. Scott, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, next purchased the property, owning the home from 1882 to 1901. Later owners included civic leader and
Davidson-Penland House image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 21, 2019
2. Davidson-Penland House
merchant John F. Hargrave and his wife, Ada.

This hipped-roof, greek revival house features stairs leading up to a wide front porch supported by square columns. Other features include a front door framed by sidelights and a transom, an ornate railing design, and paired double-hung windows. Having survived the 1885 fire and 1900 storm, it is one of the oldest existing examples of its kind in the east end district.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2011
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16848.)
 
Location. 29° 18.459′ N, 94° 46.873′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Postoffice Street west of 12th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1207 Postoffice Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James S. Waters House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacobs Home (about 600 feet away); Menard-Ganter House (about 700 feet away); Frederich-Erhard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victor Gustafson Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Fox House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Best-Lucas House (approx. ¼ mile away); William and Adele Skinner House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Davidson-Penland House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement