Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Preserving the History of the Battlefield
(Inscription under the photo in the upper left) The Cooch family has resided at nearby Cooch’s Bridge since 1746, the year that Colonel Thomas Cooch emigrated from England with his family. He operated a flour mill at the site, was active in civic affairs and was a colonel in the Delaware militia before and during the Revolutionary War. He built the Cooch house in 1760, which was subsequently enlarged by his grandson, General William Cooch and by his great-grandson, Levi Griffith Cooch. Eight generations of the Cooch family have resided in the house and the family has been active in agriculture, public service, the milling industry and law.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower left) Edward W. Cooch, Jr. is pictured on the porch of the Cooch house with the 2006 W3R marchers who passed through this area on the way to Yorktown, recreating the Washington-Rochambeau march of 1781. This is one of the many enactment activities he hosted at the Cooch house during his lifetime.
(Inscription beside the photo in the lower right) The newly-adopted 13 star flag may have been flown for the first time during the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge. On June 14, 1777 the Second Continental Congress passed the Flag Resolution which stated “Resolved, that the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternated red and white, that the union field representing a new constellation. “Circumstantial evidence suggests that the flag was the first flown during the battle, although the claim has not been proven” and “if not flown first here, then where?—Ned Cooch.
(Inscription under the photo in the upper right)
Colonel Thomas Cooch and his family evacuated the house shortly after the British army landed at Head of the Elk on the Chesapeake Bay in August 1777, the beginning of the Philadelphia Campaign. Delaware’s only Revolutionary War battle was the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge which
Erected by Pencader Heritage Area Association.
Location. 39° 38.382′ N, 75° 43.776′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Sunset Lake Road (Delaware Route 72). The marker is on the grounds of the Pencader Heritage Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2029 Sunset Lake Road, Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Germans & German-Americans in The American War of Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); French General Comte de Rochambeau and the French Army Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hessian Soldiers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Royal Deux-Ponts Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Cooch's Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware Militia (within shouting distance of this marker); Marquis de Lafayette (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Preserving the History of the Battlefield.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.