Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Millbrook in Dutchess County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Wing and a Prayer

The Museum in the Streets

 
 
A Wing and a Prayer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 8, 2019
1. A Wing and a Prayer Marker
Inscription.  
A Wing and a Prayer

Grace Episcopal Church (1901) anchors the upper end of Millbrook's Franklin Avenue. Stucco, stone, turrets, and towers combine in homage to the English Arts and Crafts movement. The interior, though somewhat altered, still has great charm. John D. Wing, whose Sandanona estate was on the hill directly behind, gifted this portion of his property for the church and attendant buildings. The separate Parish House (1909) has always been a commu- nity gathering place, with its large hall, theater space, library, and kitchen. (It once boasted a bowling alley on its lower level.) The Rector's House (1903) is to the right. The gatehouse and drive to the left once led to the Sandanona estate. They are now private, not part of the church property.

La Chiesa delle Grazie
Grace Episcopal Church (1901) č situatį nella parte nord di Franklin Avenue Stucchi, pietre, e torri si combinano in omaggio allo stile Arts and Crafts inglese. L'interno, sebbene modificato, tüttora č molto attraente. John D. Wing, la cui proprietą Sandanona si trovava nielle alture dietro l attuale chiesa, regalo il terreno per la costruzione
A Wing and a Prayer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 8, 2019
2. A Wing and a Prayer Marker
Grace Episcopal Church is behind the marker, across the street
del complesso. La parrocchia (1909), situata dietro la chiesa, č sempre stata un punto di ritrovo della comunitą, con la sua larga entrata, teatro, aecogliente biblioteca, e cucina. Una volta ospitava un bowling al piano interrato. La cįsa del rettore (1903) e alfa destra. L'ingresso ed il sentiero sulla sinistra, che una volta conduceva a Sandanona ora sono privati. (Marker Number 18.)
 
Location. 41° 47.144′ N, 73° 41.354′ W. Marker is in Millbrook, New York, in Dutchess County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Avenue and Millbrook Hollow Lane, on the right when traveling east on Franklin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millbrook NY 12545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tents and Togas (within shouting distance of this marker); The School That Launched a Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Band Shell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blown Away (about 400 feet away); Millbrook Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Athletics and Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); A World of Information (approx. 0.2 miles away); To Honor All Those Who Served (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millbrook.
 
Also see . . .
1. Grace Episcopal Church Millbrook, New York. (Submitted on September 26, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.

2. Village of Milbrook. (Submitted on September 26, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for A Wing and a Prayer.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement